Tuesday, August 25, 2009

I can't wait to see you again (part 1)

( Scribbled on the picturesque 2 hour journey from Kochin to thrissur in a empty train as the rain swept across the country side)


I'd never believed in 'love at first sight' and i;m still not quite sure if i do. To me it's just like those far fetched things we see in movies, like for instance how the good cop takes on 6 armed men with just one bullet in his pistol.
I'd heard anecdotes about 'real life' instances of love at first sight, but none of them were convincing enough and yet here i am on a train (buzzing with the topic of kerala's political scenario) contemplating on the existence of this phenomena..
The symptoms are the same according to all 'Yash Raj' films- sleepless nights, loss of appetite, disillusion. (heck they make it sound like some disease) and I've had all of them- maybe it's the flu or maybe it's something more....
I saw him a month ago; he'd come to college to judge and event. No one was looking at him, quite honestly i don't blame them for next to him was this Greek god of perfection. An Indian Edward Cullen if i might call him that.. Those perfect features, those golden brown eyes, that enigmatic smile, even the staff had a tough time keeping from staring at him..
And silently sitting next to this 'piece of art', almost hidden under the stares for his fellow judge was 'he'.Dressed in a red kurta and a veshti, he knew he was nothing to look at compared to the one sitting next to him and he had no qualms of not being the center of attention. Barely anyone looked at him, some to mock at his attire, and others to rave about how gutsy' he was to walk into a women's college in a veshti.Quite honestly, to me he was invisible... for now at least..
All the girl's flocked to Anshuman Pradhan like moths to flame and just like the pitiful insect, they returned burnt.. When i was asked to sit next to him, i tried not to look too eager though I'm sure i skipped and pranced as i strode to the bench. I've heard that everything seems perfect and beautiful under the influence of drugs, and so powerful was his beauty that the world seemed lovelier by just sitting in his presence, the sun looked bright again, the birds were singing again, life in general was 'picture perfect'...
I've always been a good judge of character and it dint take me too long to see through the veil of perfection and see the low lying scum for the person he was, all admiration was lost when i saw him mock every single team on stage. I'd had it with his snide remarks and looked up to argue about something. It was then that i saw 'him'. I read his name card- Vaibhav Menon. As if he'd heard me saying his name, he turned to me. The world seemed to have stood still.. he cocked his head and smiled. I could feel the blood rush to my cheeks, Chandne tapped me on my shoulder for something, the world was on 'play' again...
I didn't dare to look at him for the rest of the event for the fear of getting caught in his gaze again, but even without that, i cud picture his keen eyes every time i shut my own, i could picture the gentle curve his lips made when he smiled that heart warming smile of his.. I couldn't wait for the event to get over..
I was up on my feet as soon as the event was over, my heart had been weak today and i wouldn't dare test it any longer, but as fate would have it, i was asked to go on stage and help the judges distribute the prizes. Anshuman lead the way with his imperial stride and all the attitude of a diva i tied hard not to scorn at him. Vaibhav on the other hand on seeing me, stopped, bent forward and gestured me to lead the way. When i looked up at him, he had that smile on his face again and i heard my heart ringing in my ears...
I rushed to the volunteer's desk to collect the trophies. 24 trophies stacked on a small tray, the slightest movement would bring the structure down. I struggled as i took carefully measured steps. All eyes seemed to be Anshuman again as he made his 'speech' and no one even bothered to offer help except for one soul..
' Need some help with that?' I'd never heard his voice before, but i knew this was him. You know that feeling you get when you hear one of your favourite songs on the radio on a grey depressing day, and how you're suddenly filled with warmth.. Well i had the same feeling, just ten times more intense..
I gulped, could i dare to look at him? Even without my eyes meeting him, i could feel the warmth of his gaze. would i be strong enough or would i make a fool of myself?

5 comments:

atul said...

Mol, this is some brilliant piece of writing. I don't know if its fact or fiction, but I identify with the feeling myself (although obviously I don't ogle at greek GODS - I prefer members of the opposite sex :P). Brilliantly written though, its like you read my mind or something. Am really looking forward to part 2 now :)

Vedha said...

im waiting for part 2. i dunno what to make of this.

shrayasr said...

ooooooh ! :D

Interesting

*sits waiting for part 2*

Go Go dee !

Nithya said...

I can't wait to see the part 2 :)

Hari said...

Good narrative.

So veshti-dude is the wolf in sheep's coating?

I'm so reminded of Raavan(an)!